I love the idea for a project and the message your working on.
I'm looking for a UI for managing the base OS for a project I'm working on that runs on RaspPis, to help preserve and protect internet Freedom (The details of which are at Tavern.com).
Arkos looks neat, and I support the idea of simplifying as much as possible, but I'm trying to understand the relation to Ajenti - You say a few times you forked it? To what end? How are you differentiating?
Thanks for any thoughts!
Yes, Genesis (the UI for arkOS) is a fork of Ajenti's 0.6.x branch. In addition to developing new plugins, there have been many changes to it since the fork, and there will be more changes in the near future. Here is a brief overview of some things that have already changed in the core of the application.
- Front end has been redesigned, menu options have been reorganized in the display, and popover menus for system settings and user data have been created
- First Run wizard has been customized to give options for setting up the arkOS node on first boot (setting timezone, expanding the filesystem to fit the whole SD card, etc)
- Genesis Users are integrated with system Unix users, to reduce confusion
- Plugin prerequisites (available in the package manager) automatically install themselves when the plugin is installed
- Many plugins, such as system monitoring tools and the Networking plugin, have been moved into the application's Core
In the coming months, I will be working on the following core changes:
- Allowing users to upload/download files via the web interface when using the File Manager or Recovery plugins
- Allowing Genesis to automatically update itself to newest version without having to rely on the package manager (pacman)
- Revising the authentication system/middleware
- Allowing Genesis to automatically update its plugins when an update is available
- Redo the Alerts system, allowing for real-time GUI updates in a special popover
- Mobile API for apps to interface with
So I hope that gives you some idea of the things that are to be changed. Feel free to follow up with me if you have any questions. Best of luck on your project!
For those looking for updates here: this was written fairly early on in the process, and there have been even more substantial modifications since. Check out the Releases page on the Github repository to get an idea. https://github.com/cznweb/genesis/releases